Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Volume 31||No 1||January 2022|
A Special Issue in the Memory
Late Prof B N Gupta
Guest Edited By : R S Sirohi & A K Nirala
FF-43, 1st Floor, Mangal Bazar, Laxmi Nagar, Delhi-110 092, India
Asian Journal of Physics Vol. 31 No 1, 2022, 1-16
On the methods to determine the focal length of an imaging system: A tutorial approach
Rajpal S Sirohi
Alabama A&M University Normal, Alabama, USA
This article is dedicated to late Prof B N Gupta
Focal length of an imaging system is an important parameter as it determines its gathering power, numerical aperture and resolution. Its determination becomes very difficult as one of the planes is not physically accessible. A number of methods have been developed that measure either the effective focal length or the back focal length. The objective of the present paper is to discuss various methods that have been investigated and reported in the literature. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Focal length, Radius of curvature, Nodal slide, Interferometry.
1. Kaul R C, Measurement of focal length through autocollimation method, J Photo-Int & Remote Sensing, 9 (1981)17-20.
2. Horner J L, Collimation invariant technique for measuring the focal length of a lens, Appl Opt, 28(1989)1047-1048.
3. Ilev I K, Simple fiber-optic autocollimation method for determining the focal lengths of optical elements, Opt Lett, 20(1995)527-529.
4. Nakano Y, Murata K, Talbot interferometry for measuring the focal length of a lens, Appl Opt, 24(1985)3162-3166.
5. Bernardo L M, Soares O D D, Evaluation of the focal distance of a lens by Talbot interferometry, Appl Opt, 27, (1988)296-301.
6. Chon-Wen Chang, Der-Chin Su, An improved technique of measuring the focal length of a lens, Opt Commun, 73(1989)257-262.
7. Der-Chin Su, Chon-Wen Chang, A new technique for measuring the effective focal length of a thick lens or a compound lens, Opt Commun, 78(1990)118-122.
8. Bhattacharya J C, Aggarwal A K, Measurement of the focal length of a collimating lens using the Talbot effect and the moiré technique, Appl Opt,
9. Sriram K V, Kothiyal M P, Sirohi R S, Talbot interferometry in non-collimated illumination for curvature and focal length measurements, Appl Opt,
10. Sriram K V, Kothiyal M P, Sirohi R S, Direct determination of focal length by using Talbot interferometry, Appl Opt, 31(1992)5984-5987.
11. Sriram K V, Kothiyal M P, Sirohi R S, Use of a non-collimated beam for determining the focal length of a lens by Talbot interferometry, J Opt (India),
12. Yang K, Liao Z, Tao T, Analysis of Talbot image symmetry about Fourier spectrum plane and measurement of focal length, Acta Opt Sin, 14(1994)50-54.
13. Singh P, Faridi M S, Shakher C, Sirohi R S, Measurement of focal length with phase-shifting Talbot interferometry, Appl Opt, 44(2005)1572-1576.
14. Jin X, Zhang J, Bai J, Hou Ch, Hou X, Calibration method for high-accuracy measurement of long focal length with Talbot interferometry, Appl Opt,
15. Hao Chen, Yong He, Jianxin Li, Heng Lu, Measurement of long focal lengths with a double-grating interferometer, Appl Opt, 52(2013)6696-6702.
16. Luo Jia, Bai Jian, Zhang Jinchun, Hou Changlun, Wang Kaiwei, Hou Xiyun, Long focal-length measurement using divergent beam and two gratings of
different periods, Opt Express, 22(2014)27921-27931.
17. Thakur M, Shakher C, Evaluation of the focal distance of lenses by white-light Lau phase interferometry, Appl Opt, 41(2002)1841-1845.
18. Tay C J, Thakur M, Chen L, Shakher C, Measurement of focal length of lens using phase shifting Lau phase interferometry, Opt Commun, 248(2005)339-345.
19. Prakash S, Singh S, Verma A, A low cost technique for automated measurement of focal length using Lau effect combined with Moiré readout, J Mod Opt,
20. Glatt I, Kafri O, Determination of the focal length of nonparaxial lenses by moiré deflectometry, Appl Opt, 26 (1987)2507-2508.
21. Keren E, Kreske M K, Kafri O, Universal method for determining the focal length of optical systems by moiré deflectometry, Appl Opt, 27(1988)1383-1385.
22. Trivedi S, Dhanotia J, Prakash S, Measurement of focal length using phase shifted moiré deflectometry, Opt Lasers Eng, 51(2013)776-782.
23. Nicola S De, Ferraro P, Finizio A, Pierattini G, Reflective grating interferometer for measuring the focal length of a lens by digital moiré effect, Opt Commun,
24. Angelis M de, Nicola S De, Ferraro P, Finizio A, Pierattini G, Analysis of moiré fringes for measuring the focal length of lenses, Opt Lasers Eng,
25. Neal D R, Copland R J, Neal D A, Topa D M, Riera P, Measurement of lens focal length using multi-curvature analysis of Shack-Hartmann wavefront data,
Proc SPIE, 5523, 243–255, (2004) Current Developments in Lens Design and Optical Engineering V, (14 October 2004); doi.org/10.1117/12.561772.
26. Wu J, Chen J, Xu A, Gao X, Zhuang S, Focal length measurement based on Hartmann-Shack principle, Optik, 123(2012)485-488.
27. Senthil Kumar M, Narayanamurthy C S, Kiran Kumar A S, Focal length measurement of microlens array for Shack–Hartmann wavefront sensor using
interferometer, Opt Eng, 52(2013)124103; doi.org/10.1117/1.OE.52.12.124103 s.
28. Motka L, Measurement of focal length with SHS, Fine Mech Opt, 59(2014)43-45.
29. Matsuda K, Barnes T H, Oreb B F , Sheppard C(Jr), Focal-length measurement by multiple-beam shearing interferometry, Appl Opt, 38(1999)3542-3548.
30. Kumar Y P, Chatterjee S, Technique for the focal-length measurement of positive lenses using Fizeau interferometry, Appl Opt, 48(2009)730-736.
31. Chen L, Hao J, Chen Z, Guo X, Focal length measurement by fiber point diffraction longitudinal interferometry, Opt Commun, 322(2014)48-53.
32. Yang Z, Gao Z, Dou J, Wang X, Focal length measurement based on the wavefront difference method by a Fizeau interferometer, Appl Opt,
33. Yang G, Miao L, Zhang X, Sun C, Qiao Y, High-accuracy measurement of the focal length and distortion of optical systems based on interferometry, Appl Opt,
34. Zhao W, Sun R, Qiu L, Sha D, Laser differential confocal ultra-long focal length measurement, Opt Express, 17 (2009)20051-20062.
35. Zhao W, Sun R, Qiu L, Sha D, Laser differential confocal radius measurement, Opt Express, 18, (2010)2345-2360.
36. Yang J, Qiu L, Zhao W, Wu H, Laser differential reflection-confocal focal-length measurement, Opt Express, 20 (2012)26027-26036.
37. Wu H, Yang J, Qiu L, Zhao W, Measuring the lens focal length by laser confocal technique, In Proceedings of the SPIE 8916, (2013)89161E-1-10; doi:
38. Yang J, Qiu L, Zhao W, Li Z, Shao R, Measuring the lens focal length by laser reflection-confocal technology, Appl Opt, 52(2013)3812-3817.
39. Zhao W, Li Z, Qiu L, Ren H, Shao R, Large-aperture laser differential confocal ultra-long focal length measurement and its system, Opt Express,
40. Sirohi R S, Kumar H, Jain N K, Focal length measurement using diffraction at a grating, in Optical Testing and Metrology III, C P Grover (ed), Proc SPIE
41. Lei F, Dang L K, Measurement of the numerical aperture and f-number of a lens system by using a phase grating, Appl Opt, 32(1993)5689-5691.
42. Cao X, Shen S, Chen J, Focal length measurements with a three-grating system, Proc SPIE 1993, 275-282.
43. Lei F, Dang L K, Measuring the focal length of optical systems by grating shearing interferometry, Appl Opt, 33 (1994)6603-6608.
44. Nicola S De, Ferrao P, Finizio A, Pierattini G, Reflective grating interferometer for measuring the focal length of a lens by digital moiré effect, Opt Commun,
45. Zhao S, Wen J F, Chung P S, Simple focal-length measurement technique with a circular Dammann grating, Appl Opt, 46(2007)44-49.
46. Miks A, Pokorny P, Use of diffraction grating for measuring the focal length and distortion of optical systems. Appl Opt, 54(2015)10200-10206.
47. Torcal-Milla F J, Sanchez-Brea L M, Near-field diffraction-based focal length determination technique, Opt Lasers Eng, 92(2017)105-109.
48. Yang W, Wang Z, Shen C, Liu Y, Liu S, Li Q, Du W, Song Z, Research on Focal Length Measurement Scheme of Self-Collimating Optical Instrument Based
on Double Grating, Sensors, 20(2020)2718; doi:10.3390/s20092718
49. Howland B, Proll A F, Apparatus for the accurate determination of flange focal distance, Appl Opt, 11(1970)1247-1251.
50. Nemec J, Measurement of focal length, Fine Mech Opt, 16(1971)12-25.
51. Pernick B J, Hyman B, Least-squares technique for determining principal plane location and focal length, Appl Opt, 26(1987)2938-2939.
52. Chang C W, Su D C, An improved technique of measuring the focal length of a lens, Opt Commun, 73(1989)257-262.
53. Su D C, Chang C W, A new technique for measuring the effective focal length of a thick or a compound lens, Opt Commun, 78(1990)118-122.
54. Prakash O, Ram R S, Determination of focal length of convex lenses using Newton’s method, J Opt, 25(1994)135-138.
55. Angelis M de, Nicola S De, Ferrao P, Finizio A, Pierattini G, A new approach to high accuracy measurement of the focal length of lenses using a digital
Fourier transform, Opt Commun, 136(1997)370-374.
56. Meshcheryakov V I, Sinelnikov M I, Filippov O K, Measuring the focal lengths of long-focus optical systems, J Opt Technol, 66(1999)458-459.
57. Camacho A A, Solano C, Martinez-Ponce G, Baltazar R, Simple method to measure the focal length of lenses, Opt Eng, 41(2002)2899-2902.
58. Boo B De, Sasián J, Novel method for precise focal length measurement, in International Optical Design Conference, 2002 OSA Technical Digest Series,
(Optical Society of America, 2002), paper IMCS5.
59. Boo B De, Sasián J, Precision focal-length measurement technique with a relative Fresnel-zone hologram, Appl Opt, 42(2003)3903-3909.
60. Hou C, Bai J, Hou X, Novel method for testing the long focal length lens of large aperture, Opt Lasers Eng, 43 (2005)1107-1117.
61. Bennett H E, Shaffer J J, Test facility for long focal length mirrors, Proc SPIE, 1848(2005)117-124.
62. Chollet F, Ashraf M, Simultaneous measurement of focal length and index of refraction of a microlens using a compound microscope, J Micromech Microeng,
63. Malacara-Doblado D, Salas-Peimbertc D P, Trujillo-Schiaffino G, Measuring the effective focal length and the wavefront aberrations of a lens system, Opt
Eng, 49(2010)053601; doi.org/10.1117/1.3421548.
64. Kim D -H, Shi D, Ilev I K, Alternative method for measuring effective focal length of lenses using the front and back surface reflections from a reference
plate, Appl Opt, 50(2011)5163-5168.
65. Mafusire C, Forbes A, Mean focal length of an aberrated lens, J Opt Soc Am A, 28(2011)1403-1409.
66. Zhu X, Wu F, Cao X, Wu S, Zhang P, Jing H, Focal length measurement of microlens-array by the clarity function of digital image, Proc SPIE, 8417,
67. Liao L, Albuquerque BFC de, Parks R E, Sasian J M, Precision focal-length measurement using imaging conjugates, Opt Eng, 51(2012)113604;
68. Dhanotia J, Prakash S, Focal length and radius of curvature measurement using coherent gradient sensing and Fourier fringe analysis, Optik, 124
69. Pokorný P, Opat J, Mikš A, Novák J, Novák P, Analysis of factors important for measurements of focal length of optical systems. In Proceedings of the SPIE
9628, Optical Systems Design 2015: Optical Fabrication, Testing, and Metrology V, Jena, Germany, 24 September 2015. 96281Z.
70. Ghoorchi-Beygi M, Dashtdar M, Tavassoly M T, Simple digital technique for high-accuracy measurement of focal length based on Fresnel diffraction from a
phase wedge, Meas Sci Technol, 29(2018)125203.